A fantastic afternoon was had by all at our Tech Connect event held at the St Austell Conference Centre,on the 6 Feb. The event was fully booked with 60 attending and despite the snowfall by the end of the event the snow had cleared and attendees enjoyed the fantastic view over St Austell Bay.
Software Cornwall members gathered to share their knowledge and experiences through 12 lightning talks on topics from aerospace to zeroUI, followed by topic driven networking enabling members and guests connect on key shared interests.
The events guest tickets and afternoon cake sponsored by Aerospace Cornwall, with Lunch sponsored by the CIOS Skills Hub.
It was great to see many new faces and guests connecting with our community. We were pleased to welcome recent new members and have the opportunity to catch up with many of our founding members too.
A number of our technical job candidates currently in the Software Cornwall CV Bank joined us at the event too and connected with a variety of members about potential opportunities to join their teams.
Lightning talks began with a live feed from Mission to Mars teams to give an insight into the career pathway courses provided through Software Cornwall and its partners. The teams beamed their talk through facebook live, which you can watch on the Software Cornwall facebook page.
A variety of members gave talks on fascinating topics, David from Radix Communications shared advice on what makes great copy, Wo King gave an introduction to Bots and their potential, and Marcus Kern shared experiences and news on the development of their new recurring payment platform, Duesday. to get early access to DUESDAY: Sign up here: http://www.duesday.com/
Talks from EU funded business programmes including the Skills Hub, Smartline Project, Cultivator and Aerospace Cornwall helped members to understand currently funded support available.
Lyssa Fee Crump gave an inspiring talk on marketing a tech business, with Caitlin Gould of Bluefruit sharing insights into surfing the tech wave as a growing business. Belinda Waldock from Being Agile sharing 5 tips on building an agile team, an update on Agile on the Beach, and the latest news from Software Cornwall and plans for the year ahead.
You can find more details of some of their sessions here
- Software Cornwall – A lightning review of 2017 & plans for 2018!
- Mission to Mars – Live Feed! – Tony Edwards, Robert Wiltshire & the Mission teams – see the video
- Everything you know about technology copywriting is wrong – Radix Communications, David McGuire TechConnect – Everything You Know Is Wrong – Slides PDF
- Bots and Zero UI – Wo King
- Skills talk – Julia Le Gallo, CIOS Skills Hub
- Surfing the waves vs falling off cliffs: 3 tips on planning for flux in an agile world – Caitlin Gould, Bluefruit Slides PDF
- 5 ways to be an agile team in 5 minutes – Belinda Waldock, Being agile Slidess PDF
- Agile on the Beach Code Retreats & New Resource Hub
- Fintech talk – Marcus Kern, CFT Group SlidesPDF
- How to Successfully Market your Tech Company – Lyssa Fee-Crump, Headforwards – Slides https://www.slideshare.net/LyssaFeCrump/how-to-successfully-market-your-tech-company
- 50 Million points in 5 minutes – Darren Stevens, Smartline Project – SlidesPDF
- Cultivator Cornwall – Laura Giles
- Aerospace Cornwall – Peter Munro-Lott – The Aerospace Cornwall project aims to increase the supply chain cluster in the Space and Aerospace sectors, create highly skilled jobs in Cornwall and launch new products into the marketplace.
There were some great conversations and topics on twitter www.twitter.com/swcornwall
You can find photos from the event on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/softwarecornwall
Details of our next Tech Connect event will be confirmed soon, if you would like to be kept up to date with community news please subscribe to our Community Email news via our website www.softwarecornwall.org. If you would like to discuss sponsorship for the next event please contact [email protected]